Computer Scientist, Software Engineer, Human-Computer Interaction Practitioner. Industry experienced. User interfaces, usability studies, user experience, service design, context-awareness, mobile instrumentation.
Sept. 2013 ~ September 2017: Post-Doc in Ubiquitous And Mobile Computing (University of Oulu)
AWAREv2: developing and evaluating tools to better understand how mobility and social context affects your wellbeing and others. Self-funded by the Academy of Finland Post-doc Fellow until 2017.
2011 ~ 2013: Ph.D. in Ubiquitous and Mobile Computing (University of Oulu)
Thesis: AWARE: A Mobile Context Instrumentation Middleware To Collaboratively Understand Human Behavior [here].
2009 ~ 2010: Master’s in Human-Computer Interaction (Carnegie Mellon University)
Capstone: OneTouch, a mobile software solution that respects your personal time, helps you remember details and keeps you informed of what is going on. Developed in Android.
2007 ~ 2009: Master’s in Software Engineering (University of Madeira)
Thesis: Meta.Tracer-MOF with traceability, enhancing software engineering modeling with traceability. Developed in C#.
2001 ~ 2007: Major in Computer Science (University of Madeira)
Project: Pascal-C, a compiler that validated Pascal with C syntax. Developed in Flex and Yacc.
- March 2015 (scheduled): MobileLife Research Center, Stockholm, Sweden
- October 2014: AWARE: Collaborative Human & Social Context for Wellbeing – Jawbone, Pittsburgh, US
- June 2014: AWARE: Human & Social Context for Wellbeing – Microsoft Research, Cambridge, UK
- June 2014: AWARE: Human & Social Context for Wellbeing – U. Cambridge, Computer Laboratories, UK
- June 2013: AWARE: Collaborative Mobile Context Instrumentation – HCII, Carnegie Mellon University, US
- May 2013: Building bridges between QoE and Affective Computing – VTT Research Center, Finland
- Sept. 2012: AWARE: A Middleware for Mobile Computing Research – IBM TJ Watson, US
- Review Editor for Frontiers in Human-Media Interaction (since Sept, 2014).
- Visiting Lecturer of User Centered Research and Evaluation (UCRE’14 – Fall semester) at Carnegie Mellon University.
- Organizer of UbiMI’2012, UbiMI’2013 – Ubiquitous Mobile Instrumentation – workshop, collocated with UbiComp 2012, 2013.
- Teaching Assistant for Mobile & Social Computing (Spring 2013, Spring 2014).
- Teaching Assistant for Human-Computer Interaction (Fall 2012, Fall 2013).
- Teaching Assistant for Research Methods (Fall 2012, Fall 2013).
- Reviewer venues: UbiComp; Mobile HCI; Pervasive; IJ Human-Computer Studies, CHI, MobiSys and others.
- Program Committee: IEEE SITIS 2013, 2014; ACM TEI 2011; MobiCASE 2014.
August-December 2014: Visiting Prof. Anind Dey’s research group at the UbicompLab at Carnegie Mellon University, US to design and create mobile support systems for tracking Parkinson’s medication; contextual factors on binge drinking; and studying the effects of cancer treatment on patients daily routines.
June-July 2014: Visiting Prof. Cecilia Mascolo’s research group at the Computer Laboratory at University of Cambridge, UK to design social context probes that leverage smartphone usage, ambient noise classification and geo-fenced social semantics.
October 2013-March 2014: Visiting Prof. Jouni Jaakkola’s research group at Centre of Environmental and Respiratory Health at University of Oulu’s Medical Faculty to develop a mobile environmental probe to assess air quality’s effects on asthma patients daily lives.
September 2011 ~ September 2013: as a HCI/Ubicomp/Mobile Research Scientist (iUBI, CSE, University of Oulu): Instrumenting the city of Oulu by leveraging panOULU infrastructure (WiFi AP, Bluetooth AP, traffic sensors, public displays and projectors, city lights), augmented with AWARE mobile context middleware (http://www.awareframework.com).
February-August 2011: as a HCI Researcher (Ubicomp Lab, HCII, Carnegie Mellon University): Collecting massive amount of data from a large-scale deployment of context-aware information from mobile devices with the Ubicomp Lab group at CMU HCII. One paper accepted at Ubicomp’11, where we analyzed how far are current smartphone users from their devices on multiple conditions. In collaboration with M-ITI, we published two papers on users’ location sharing preferences and perceptions (Interact’11, CMU-LSCS 2011).
June-September 2010: as a HCI Researcher (Ubicomp Lab, HCII, Carnegie Mellon University): User research, data mining and visualization, user studies and interviews for the Ubicomp Lab group at CMU. Our group explored how people use their mobile phones and how they manage the battery life. Published the results at Pervasive’11. We also looked at what applications people use on their devices and where they use it (home, work, outside). Started the project Aware framework, where Android mobile devices are used to collect context information.
February-May 2010: as a HCI Researcher (Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute): Retrospective, Think-alouds, Prototyping, Interviews, Questionnaires for SINAIS project. Integration and information sharing between different devices motivated us to build a publish-subscribe server based on JXTA and XMPP. Gathering phone events (ringing, missed call, received sms) we assessed how frequently people interact with their phones to check for these events, using Ambient Notifier (paper published at MobileHCI’10). As a proof of concept, we built Smart Mail box, that would send an email for each mail received.
August-December 2009: as a HCI Researcher (University of Pittsburgh): Contextual Inquiries, Surveys, Prototyping and Interviews for the Dental Informatics Department at University of Pittsburgh. We explored how could a patient oriented treatment plan change the patient’s understanding of his/her’s own dental records.
November 2008-April 2009: Project Manager, Software Engineer (TotalCenter Lda)
Development team project lead. Requirements, architecture and system modeling, interface prototyping and usability analysis for re-billing membership management system.
September 2004-August 2008: Web Software Engineer (Expedita SA)
PHP software engineer and web UI developer. Web interface prototyping, implementation and usability analysis, mostly Joomla-based content management systems and components.
- 2014 – Academy of Finland Post-Doc Scholarship (until August 2017)
- 2013 – KAUTE Foundation Research Scholarship
- 2012 – Best Young Teacher Of The Year (University of Oulu)
- 2012 – Tauno Tönning Foundation Research Scholarship
- 2011 – Nokia Foundation Personal Scholarship
- 2009 – Winner of Summer of Widgets Vodafone R&D Germany competition
- 2007 – Microsoft Imagine Cup 2007 Web Development finalist
Speech capabilities: Portuguese (native), English (excelent), French (moderate), Spanish (moderate), Finnish (beginner).
I’m a tropical fish aquarium hobbyist, mountain trekker and world explorer! I play Floorball on Mondays with our department group. I also enjoy listening to music (I’m open to listen to different melodies!) and reading sci-fi novels.