Computer Scientist, Software Engineer, Human-Computer Interaction Practitioner. Industry experienced. User interfaces, usability studies, user experience, service design, context-awareness, mobile instrumentation.
- 1.2017 – present: Vice-Director, Center for Ubiquitous Computing (research unit, University of Oulu)
- 12.2016 – present: Director, Community Instrumentation and Awareness (CIA research group, University of Oulu)
- 10.2016 – present: Adjunct Professor (Mobile Computing) (University of Oulu)
- 9.2013 ~ 11.2017: Postdoc in Ubiquitous and Mobile Computing (University of Oulu)
AWAREv2: developing and evaluating tools to better understand how mobility and social context affects your wellbeing and others. Funded by the Academy of Finland Post-doc Fellow.
- 11.2011 ~ 9.2013: Ph.D. in Ubiquitous and Mobile Computing (University of Oulu)
Thesis: AWARE: A Mobile Context Instrumentation Middleware To Collaboratively Understand Human Behaviour [PDF: here][Website: http://www.awareframework.com].
- 8.2009 ~ 12.2010: Master’s in Human-Computer Interaction (Carnegie Mellon University)
Capstone: OneTouch, a mobile software solution that respects your personal time, helps you remember details and keeps you informed of what is going on. Developed in Android.
- 10.2007 ~ 7.2009: Master’s in Software Engineering (University of Madeira)
Thesis: Meta.Tracer-MOF with traceability, enhancing software engineering modelling with traceability. Developed in C#.
- 10.2001 ~ 7.2007: Major in Computer Science (University of Madeira)
Project: Pascal-C, a compiler that validated Pascal with C syntax. Developed in Flex and Yacc.
- 9.2017: AWARE: Human & Social Context for Wellbeing, Samsung Research America, California, US.
- 8.2017: AWARE: Collaborative Human & Social Context for Wellbeing (workshop in social cognition in everyday life in individuals with and without autism spectrum conditions), LMU Münich, Germany.
- 3.2017: Understanding human behaviour with technology: challenges, tools & methods – University of Madeira, Portugal.
- 11.2016: Understanding human behaviour with technology: challenges, tools & methods – Aalto + Helsinki University, Finland.
- 5.2016: Understanding human behaviour with technology: challenges, tools & methods – Keio University Shonan Fujisawa Campus (SFC), Japan.
- 2.2016: Understanding human behaviour with technology: challenges, tools & methods – Luleå Tekniska Universitet (LTU), Luleå, Sweden.
- 10.2015: AWARE – Keynote Speaker at Mobiconf Conference (Android track), Kraków, Poland
- 6.2015: AWARE: Collaborative Human & Social Context for Wellbeing – Rutgers University, New Jersey, US
- 3.2015: AWARE: Collaborative Human & Social Context for Wellbeing – MobileLife Research Center, Stockholm, Sweden
- 1.2015: AWARE: Collaborative Human & Social Context for Wellbeing – Madeira-ITI, Funchal, Portugal
- 11.2014: AWARE: Collaborative Human & Social Context for Wellbeing – Dartmouth College, Hanover, US
- 10.2014: AWARE: Collaborative Human & Social Context for Wellbeing – Jawbone, Pittsburgh, US
- 6.2014: AWARE: Human & Social Context for Wellbeing – Microsoft Research, Cambridge, UK
- 6.2014: AWARE: Human & Social Context for Wellbeing – Cambridge, Computer Laboratories, Cambridge, UK
- 6.2013: AWARE: Collaborative Mobile Context Instrumentation – HCII, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, US
- 5.2013: Building bridges between QoE and Affective Computing – VTT Research Center, Oulu, Finland
- 9.2012: AWARE: A Middleware for Mobile Computing Research – IBM TJ Watson, New Jersey, US
- Lecturer for Applied Computing Project I & II (Fall 2017) at University of Oulu, Finland
- Adjunct Lecturer for Collecting and Using Data for Interactive Systems (05-839, Spring 2016) at Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh.
- Lecturer for Mobile and Social Computing (Spring 2016, 2017) at University of Oulu, Finland.
- Adjunct Lecturer for User-Centered Research and Evaluation (UCRE) (Fall 2014) at Human-Computer Interaction Institute, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh.
- Teaching Assistant for Mobile & Social Computing (Spring 2013, Spring 2014) at University of Oulu, Finland.
- Teaching Assistant for Human-Computer Interaction (Fall 2012, Fall 2013, Fall 2015) at University of Oulu, Finland.
- Teaching Assistant for Research Methods (Fall 2012, Fall 2013) at University of Oulu, Finland.
- Riku Kallio (BSc., MSc.): graduated 2014, 2015
- Alexander Samodelkin (MSc.): graduated 2017
- Mitra Vahida (MSc.): graduated 2017
- Juan Camilo (MSc.): ongoing 2015, expected 2017
- Ahsan Manzoor (MSc.): ongoing 2016, expected 2017
- Mikko Korhonen (BSc., MSc.): graduated 2014, expected 2017
- Henri Koski (BSc., MSc.): graduated 2014, expected 2017
- Mohamed Aboeleinen (MSc.): expected 2018
- Opoku Kennedy Asare (MSc.): expected 2018
- Simon Klakegg (PhD): expected 2018
- Hanna-Leena Huttunen (PhD): expected 2019.
- Aku Visuri (BSc., MSc., PhD): graduated 2014, 2016, expected 2018.
- Review Editor for Frontiers in Human-Media Interaction (since Sept, 2014); IEEE Communications Society Magazine (since Jan, 2016).
- Organizer: UbiMI’2012, 2013, 2016, 2017 – Ubiquitous Mobile Instrumentation – hands-on workshop on mobile context, sensing and research, collocated with ACM UbiComp and ISWC.
- Reviewer: ACM UbiComp; ACM Mobile HCI; IEEE Pervasive Magazine; Int. Journal of Human-Computer Studies; ACM SigCHI; ACM MobiSys; Augmented Human; ACM UIST; IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing; ACM IMWUT (previously UbiComp); ACM Transactions on (Sensor Networks; Web).
- Program Committee: IEEE SITIS 2013, 2014; ACM TEI 2011; EAI MobiCASE 2014, 2015; ACM IUI’15; IEEE PerMoby’15, ACM MobileHCI’15, ACM UIST’15 (external), ACM ISWC’15 (external), ACM IoT 2016, ACM MUM’16.
- May 2016: Visiting Prof. Tokuda’s research lab at Keio University, Japan.
- January-February 2016: Visiting IndoorAtlas Inc, part of the Core Team (Android) to improve their Android SDK functionalities.
- September-February 2016: Visiting Haltian Oy Visionary Labs, to evaluate the usability and test a novel device: Snowfox, to be released at WMC’16 in Barcelona and available in selected markets 2Q 2016.
- August-December 2014: Visiting Prof. Anind Dey’s research group at the UbicompLab at Carnegie Mellon University, US to design and create mobile support systems for tracking Parkinson’s medication; contextual factors on binge drinking; and studying the effects of cancer treatment on patients daily routines.
- June-July 2014: Visiting Prof. Cecilia Mascolo’s research group at the Computer Laboratory at University of Cambridge, UK to design social context probes that leverage smartphone usage, ambient noise classification and geo-fenced social semantics.
- October 2013-March 2014: Visiting Prof. Jouni Jaakkola’s research group at Centre of Environmental and Respiratory Health at University of Oulu’s Medical Faculty to develop a mobile environmental probe to assess air quality’s effects on asthma patients daily lives.
- September 2011 ~ September 2013: as a HCI/Ubicomp/Mobile Research Scientist (iUBI, CSE, University of Oulu): Instrumenting the city of Oulu by leveraging panOULU infrastructure (WiFi AP, Bluetooth AP, traffic sensors, public displays and projectors, city lights), augmented with AWARE mobile context middleware (http://www.awareframework.com).
- February-August 2011: as a HCI Researcher (Ubicomp Lab, HCII, Carnegie Mellon University): Collecting massive amount of data from a large-scale deployment of context-aware information from mobile devices with the Ubicomp Lab group at CMU HCII. One paper accepted at Ubicomp’11, where we analyzed how far are current smartphone users from their devices on multiple conditions. In collaboration with M-ITI, we published two papers on users’ location sharing preferences and perceptions (Interact’11, CMU-LSCS 2011).
- June-September 2010: as a HCI Researcher (Ubicomp Lab, HCII, Carnegie Mellon University): User research, data mining and visualization, user studies and interviews for the Ubicomp Lab group at CMU. Our group explored how people use their mobile phones and how they manage the battery life. Published the results at Pervasive’11. We also looked at what applications people use on their devices and where they use it (home, work, outside). Started the project Aware framework, where Android mobile devices are used to collect context information.
- February-May 2010: as a HCI Researcher (Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute): Retrospective, Think-alouds, Prototyping, Interviews, Questionnaires for SINAIS project. Integration and information sharing between different devices motivated us to build a publish-subscribe server based on JXTA and XMPP. Gathering phone events (ringing, missed call, received sms) we assessed how frequently people interact with their phones to check for these events, using Ambient Notifier (paper published at MobileHCI’10). As a proof of concept, we built Smart Mail box, that would send an email for each mail received.
- August-December 2009: as a HCI Researcher (University of Pittsburgh): Contextual Inquiries, Surveys, Prototyping and Interviews for the Dental Informatics Department at University of Pittsburgh. We explored how could a patient oriented treatment plan change the patient’s understanding of his/her’s own dental records.
- November 2008-April 2009: Project Manager, Software Engineer (TotalCenter Lda)
Development team project lead. Requirements, architecture and system modeling, interface prototyping and usability analysis for re-billing membership management system.
- September 2004-August 2008: Web Software Engineer (Expedita SA)
PHP software engineer and web UI developer. Web interface prototyping, implementation and usability analysis, mostly Joomla-based content management systems and components.
- “3D Touch on iPhone 6S: Embrace the Force” – Nielsen Norman Group
- “Magnetic messages let smartphones receive secret data” – New Scientist
- “Magnetic messaging: Your phone’s magnetometer used for new type of communication” – Geek
- “Oulu team explores magnetic communication for smartphones” – Tech Xplore
- “Magnetic communication: a new type of wireless communication” -Think Big
- “Of course iPhone 4S battery life matters” – Betanews
- 2017 – 2019 – (Co-PI) TEKES: Simple Smart Sensors: NFC-enabled sensor boards for opportunistic environmental sampling (~200K €)
- 2016 – 2018 – (PI) Academy of Finland: Key Funding: CARE: Context-awareness for Elderly Care (~300K €)
- 2014 – 2017 – (PI) Academy of Finland: Post-Doc Scholarship: AWARE: Human and Social Context Wellbeing (~280K €)
- 2013 – KAUTE Foundation Research Scholarship (2,5K €)
- 2012 – Tauno Tönning Foundation Research Scholarship (5K €)
- 2011 – Nokia Foundation Personal Scholarship (5K €)
Awards & Recognitions
- 2015 – Best Reviewer (ACM ISWC’15)
- 2015 – Honorable Mention (ACM MobileHCI’15)
- 2014 – Honorable Mention, Best Talk Award (ACM SIGCHI’14)
- 2012 – Best Young Teacher Of The Year (University of Oulu)
- 2009 – Winner of Summer of Widgets Vodafone R&D Germany competition
- 2007 – Microsoft Imagine Cup 2007 Web Development finalist
– NIH: “Protecting Human Research Participants” #280353
– CITI: “Social & Behavioural Research” #14612707; “Social & Behavioural Responsible Conduct of Research” #14612708